Dmitriev Dmitry Vyacheslavovich, Candidate of pedagogical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of English language and English language teaching technique, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Meshcheryakov Anatoly Semenovich, Doctor of pedagogical sciences, professor, sub-department of welding, casting production and materials science, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. At the present stage the pedagogical science and practice solve a problem of improvement of methods and forms of teaching a foreign language directed to the solution of problems of modernization of education, improvement of the quality and efficiency of foreign-language vocational training. This article discusses the possibility of using one of the innovative means of teaching English – podcasts. The purpose of the research is to identify theoretically and verify experimentally the didactic possibilities of podcasts in teaching English.
Materials and methods. The set research tasks were solved during the study, analysis and synthesis of scientific literature on the research problem. Various aspects of information technologies usage were considered by M. A. Akopova, M. A. Bovtenko, E. I. Dmitriyeva, O. P. Kryukova, E. S. Polat, I. V. Robert, N. F. Talyzina and others. Theoretical bases of introduction of podcasts into the educational process and practical aspects of their use in teaching English were investigated by Zh. S. Anikina, T. I. Krasnova, E. Yu. Malushko, A. G. Solomatina, P. V. Sysoyev, P. Edirsingha, A. Fox, G. Stanley and others. This article describes authors’ own research in the course of which the following methods were used: observation, testing, pedagogical experiment.
Results. The carried-out analysis of scientific literature on the research problem allowed to define the term “podcast”; to identify factors that contribute to the popularity of podcasts; to reveal the didactic potential of podcasts: authenticity, multitasking functionality, media competence, multi-perception, interactivity, motivation, matching individual characteristics. Efficiency of the use of podcasts in teaching English was revealed as a result of carrying out the experiment: in experimental group there were more students with high academic levels and fewer students with low academic levels.
Conclusions. Podcasts, indeed, are innovative means of teaching English in the high school, because they form language and speaking skills in various types of speech activity (listening, reading, writing, speaking), enrich vocabulary, improve grammar skills, increase motivation to learn English, allow to individualize training, promote differentiation activity for students and intensify their independent work.
podcasts, innovation, English, high school, information technologies, motivation.
1. Solomatina A. G. Metodika razvitiya umeniy govoreniya i audirovaniya uchashchikhsya posredstvom uchebnykh podkastov: dis. kand. ped. nauk: 13.00.02 [Methods of pupils’ speaking and auding skills development using education podcasts: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of pedagogical sciences]. Tambov, 2011, 158 p.
2. Dudeney G., Hockly N. How to teach English with technology. New York: Pearson Longman, 2007, 192 p.
3. Telegina A. T. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2013, no. 4, pp. 253–263.
4. Dmitriev D. V., Meshcheryakov A. S. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern problems of science and education]. 2014, no. 2. Available at: http://www.science-education.ru/116-12842.
5. Fried-Booth D. L. Journal of linguistic studies. 2009, no. 2 (2), pp. 75–83.
6. Varnikova O. V. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2011, no. 3, pp. 153–161.
7. Salin B. S. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern problems of science and education]. 2010, no. 4, pp. 91–93.